Effective communication: the fundamentals
You use communication skills on a daily basis when working in design. Whether you’re talking to colleagues, team members, your boss or a client, you need to be able to get your point of view across confidently, and get the outcomes you need to work effectively.
Instinctively engaging the appropriate language, tone of voice and body language in each of these different settings, especially in difficult situations, can take some practice.
At this workshop communications expert Wendy Smith will cover the fundamental skills you need to be able to work professionally with anyone and everyone you come in contact with. Wendy will cover a broad range of techniques that will improve your overall portfolio of interpersonal skills.
What you will learn about:
- Using and adjusting your body language.
- Varying your tone to create impact with your vocal delivery.
- Positive reinforcement and how to deliver feedback confidently.
- Using personal and public space to your advantage.
- The importance of listening and understanding.
- The power of paraphrasing.
- How to be assertive without being aggressive.
- Taking criticism on board in a positive way.
- Maximising your verbal impact with powerful words.
Find out how to fine-tune and adapt your style in response to different situations, and leave feeling confident in your abilities.
‘An eye opening and refreshing recap on why good communication skills are vitally important and how easy they are to get wrong, but also how simple it is to get them right.’ Rick Harrison, Account Manager, Make It Clear
‘Very useful and enlightening in many ways, will be applying what I have learnt from tomorrow.’ Mark Thatcher, Director, 2LK Design
‘It’s a real eye opener to your habits and mistakes.’ Katerina Nishan, Senior UX Designer, Make It Clear
‘Wendy was very friendly and engaging and delivered a very interesting course.’ Darren Pascoe, Senior Project Manager, WPA Pinfold
Available as a half-day in-house session for a group of 6 or more. Prices per person:
- Standard rate £325+vat (£390)
- DBA members £210+vat (£252)
We are able to offer the following discount structure to the standard ticket price, based on the numbers attending the session:
- 8-10 people – 5% discount
- 11+ people – 10% discount
To discuss availability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7251 9229.
All DBA events and training courses are subject to standard terms and conditions which can be read in full here.