Whether you’re a design agency or a design-led business that buys and manages design, membership should be a considered process, driven by a genuine interest in professionalism, in the way your own business operates and in the way the design industry operates.
If the shared values of the membership community struck a chord, then you’re probably half way to answering the question of why you should belong to the DBA.
We’re pretty certain that with these values in place, the combination of your ambition and our expertise can help you seize the opportunities to develop your business, improve your performance and enhance your competitiveness, whether you’re delivering design or commissioning it.
• Increase overall client confidence in your business. Clients are reassured by your professional affiliation to your trade body, making their decision to use you easier to justify.
• Help your clients to properly reward your value. Clients see your rates in context against the sector. They can be confident they’re paying the right amount.
• Help your clients see design as an investment by talking design effectiveness as well as creativity. Clients will feel confident of the commercial impact your expertise will have on their business.
• Help your clients feel confident in how they select a design business. Share best practice on choosing a design business and protect them from costly mistakes.
• Show your clients that you’re investing in your business, your people and your knowledge. Grow client confidence to come to you with new challenges.
• Show you belong to a community of design businesses with shared values that benefit clients. Reassure clients that what you are saying is best practice, squeezing out the likelihood of bad practices.
"As a small (and sometimes isolated) business, the DBA Annual Survey Report is the only way of really knowing how we compare with other agencies. Otherwise we're just second guessing in the dark.
It's essential in helping us to benchmark what we pay our staff and what we charge clients, in order to remain competitive"
Andy West, MD, MultiAdaptor
"Design thinking is vital in engaging anyone from customers to employees and can play a very fundamental role in the growth of a business. The DBA plays a vital part in championing this ethos and demonstrating the power of design in our lives"
Jonny Westcar, MD Brand Union
Membership of the DBA Design Leadership Group will deliver:
•An outstanding networking opportunity
However well connected you already are, joining the DBA will enhance your network, enabling you to meet and mingle with leading designers and design managers, sharing ideas and knowledge - and learning directly from the experience of your peers through our quarterly, full day sessions (free and exclusive to members) and wider calendar of events.
• A place at the cutting edge of design effectiveness
No one knows more about design effectiveness than the DBA and our members. You'll benefit from our cutting edge thinking on maximising ROI, member showcases on best practice, and coaching on articulating the value of design to the board.
• A short-cut to sharper design procurement
As a DBA member, you'll have access to a vast pool of expertise on every aspect of design procurement and management, ensuring you and your team are equipped to get the best from relationships with creative agencies.
• A chance to help your people raise their game
If you're responsible for an in-house design team, DBA membership can help you take performance to a higher level, with high quality training courses across a wide range of subjects.
• A voice in shaping the future
Joining the DBA will give you a platform for your views; a chance to take part in an ongoing discussion with the leading thinkers in the industry, and to influence the agenda that will shape the future of design, in the UK and globally.
• A powerful positioning statement
Finally, Membership of the DBA Design Leadership Group serves as a "badge of honour"; a statement of intent, setting those who hold it apart as companies with a commitment to the value of design, and a highly developed understanding of how to use it to maximum effect.
“There are two key reasons why I thought it was a good idea to be part of the DBA. Firstly, the opportunity to network with those doing a similar role to me in Industry, share best practice and learn from my peers. Secondly, having worked agency side as well as client side, I relish the opportunity to both learn from interacting with a wide variety of agencies, and also bring perspectives & influence the industry.” Jeremy Lindley, Global Design Director, Diageo
Design Leadership Group membership: Members of the Design Leadership Group include Airbus, Arup, BBC, Diageo, GlaxoSmithKline, Grohe, Lego, Ministry of Justice, Transport for London and Waitrose. If your business invests in and values design and you would like to know more about the many benefits of joining, email Deborah Dawton E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 020 7251 9229