DBA Members’ Forum | September Summary
In our September Members’ Forum yesterday, we were joined by some members who have won DBA Design Effectiveness Awards, and we explored the wide-ranging impact design can have. Here’s a summary of the conversation.
- Ask what success looks like – then you know when you’ve achieved (and no doubt exceeded) what was expected, and have metrics in place to track that impact – this is the foundation of proving the value of what you can add through design.
- Getting all stakeholders on board early is key, as is demonstrating the value of sharing data openly to enable you to track results and prove you’ve delivered on expectations. One winner has award wins written into their contracts at their client’s request, and wins earn them a bonus – making it part of the way you work means you can always prove the value of your work.
- Winning a rigorously judged metrics-based award like the DBA Design Effectiveness Awards brings a level of respect to your team within the business when the proof of the impact of design is independently recognised and rewarded.
- I encourage you to dive into entries that sit outside of your specialisms – take a look at what exhibitions are doing, or a digital project for example. You can see all the 2023 winners here and the archive here.
- It takes a team to prepare a submission – and it’s a fantastic way of elevating the success of the key players within that team, celebrating their impact and strengthening your business culture as somewhere that values the contribution of individuals.
- Celebrating success aside, one winner outlined the sense of self-worth their team gains from being independently recognised for the work they have done – and they’re sure that contributes greatly to their impressive talent retention stats.
- Don’t leave it too late, book in your entry scoping call now, winners greatly praised the ability of the DBA team to help them navigate the application process and approach their work with a different perspective, you can book a call here.
- If you want design to be valued in your business and beyond as an equal stakeholder, being able to track and measure the impact of your success is key.
There was much, much more covered in the hour – you really had to be there. Do make sure you join us in our next DBA Members’ Forum on Monday 2 October at 4pm BST, look out for an email from me in a few weeks with more details. If you would like to attend, get in touch here.