DBA Members’ Forum | May summary
In the latest DBA Members’ Forum we were joined by guest High-Stakes Leadership Mentor, Sally Henderson.
- We discussed the challenges we’re facing recruiting the talent we need for our businesses:
- One member shared that hybrid/remote working has opened up the talent pool outside of their geographical area, but along with that has come higher demands on salaries. Watch out for cost creep.
- The point was made that we can get lazy in recruitment. We were warned about using old habits in new markets as they just won’t work. Get excited about recruiting and get creative if you want to secure the best talent. Move quickly.
- Another member revealed how recruiting 5 graduates at once has injected a new energy into the business. Processes around onboarding have been reviewed and new ways of working have been implemented and well received.
- Another member shared their experience of bringing on younger, more junior staff, in roles such as client servicing where there is an expectation you will learn on the job – this is leading them to put more pressure on the team to come back into the office more regularly.
- There was a discussion around financial incentives for team members who recommend people or friends who then secure a role within their agency. Reward your team like you would a recruiter.
- One member had seen success in having a “tribe” day, a day when everyone is in the studio. Thought was given to what studio days were really for and how this is communicated to the team to ensure everyone attends. They aim to get the majority of the team being happy. Don’t let one individual dictate the policies for all.
- High-Stakes Leadership Mentor, Sally Henderson shared some recommendations on how to create a positive recruitment experience, starting with taking a critical eye to your job specs and injecting some creativity into your processes. She also offered some food for thought on how a positive mindset can help when it comes to recruitment. There’s a great Five Word Reveal Tool you can use to make positive change through fast emotional insight. Change your attitude as a leader and your teams will sense it.
Our Members’ Forum takes place on the first Monday of each month, at 4 – 5pm. If you would like to attend, get in touch here.
Our next members forum will be taking place on Monday 6 June.